Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Pilgrim Verses 131-140

 131. I told you I was sick

 

I told you I was sick

I've been saying it for years

But would you bloody listen?

Not a little bit!

 

Permit me now some salty tears

For complaining all my life

I knew t'would likely end like this

I even told the wife.

 

I think I'll give a miss though

To doctors visits now

They couldn't even bother

Though it's fifty years ago.

For fifty years I warned 'em

For fifty years they missed 'em

The tell-tale signs and more.

 

Not a bit of notice taken

Though I've suffered ev'ry sore

Known to man and more -

They're just a load of chancers

Without a single answer

I knew I wasn't feeling very well

'Bout sixty year ago

But would they bloody listen?

The simple answer's 'no'.

 

I'll waste away and die now

Aged tender ninety-three

I'd go and bloody sue them

If they hadn't gone and died

Some years ahead of me!!!

 

 

 


 


132. An old lady atop the 46A bus from Dun Laoghaire 

 

She drove the bus from stop to stop

And anguished from upstairs atop

And braked for cyclists and for more,

While knitting on the second floor

 

She willed the lights remain on green

And prayed to traffic gods unseen

She blanched as her behemoth

Whizzed past cars without a thought.

 

Her knuckles clenched and her feet dug in

When driver failed to see the truck she'd seen

She gripped the seat in holy terror

The trip to town to buy a mirror.

 

For forty years she'd done her lips

By the window in the porch

Now she'd paint her face

In her bedroom with so much grace.

 

She pulled her rain hat round her neck

And left the bus seat with a check

She slowly clambered down the stairs

Alone, competing with young shopping pairs.

 

 


 

133. iPhones on a train platform

 

With their back to the sea

It's a mystery

Dublin Bay beckons

But all they reckon

Is to stare at a phone

While pushing buttons

While life goes ahead

All around them. 

 

Blackrock train station

And the sun is shining

On the September sea

That gleams behind. 

 

Commuters with furrowed brows

Examining screens

While pushing and swiping

Missing gulls that scream

Wheeling above furrowed waves

Stretching out to handsome Howth. 

 

Simple beauty blows free

On a crisp autumn breeze. 

Shadows lengthen as summer

Gently retreats across the Dublin hills. 

 

Taste and touch

Grasp and feel

What is here and now

Clean, pure and free

Magic yet real. 


 

134. Building Barns

 

I'm building barns till the cows come home

I'm feeling poorly but I'll keep building on

I can't bring money to heaven, they say

They could be wrong, I'll save anyway.

 

They could be wrong and to be sure

I'll stitch some pockets in my shroud

I'll stuff some dosh an' pills an' stuff

Surely that way I'll 'ave enough.

 

Besides I’m now too old to learn how

To set aside the rake and harrow

Not for me the golf or beer

I’m never happy to relax or chill.

 

I’ll die happy in my boots of work

With any luck using the pitch fork

To surely collect and save the hay

To be used some dark winters day.

 

On me grave ye can put the words

“Don’t copy me, but observe the birds

Who neither reap or so

But get along anyhow….

 

Little chancers.’

 

 

 


 

135. Fridge Magnets

 

I’ll try not to keep a cow

Inside my gleaming fridge

Alive or dead.

 

At times I can smell the fear

That came before the fatal blow

Its final thoughts

I’ll never know. 

 

The cows at least, I guess,

Saw the clouds and felt the sun caress

Their backs as they ambled across a meadow

And their life, though short, was real. 

 

Sad is the sunless prison

Where the battery chicks lie hidden

In a hell of man’s making. 

 

The world spins daily

The earth revolves gaily

Round a central premise

That presupposes balance and mercy. 

 

‘Mummy, mummy, 

Who’s in the fridge?’

‘Let me have a look darling’.

 

The blood runs crimson

Across the shiny floor

Of the tidy house

Beside the abattoir.



 

136. Quakers and questions

 

I love the Quakers

They have no answers

But loads of questions

That keep us seeking

 

Lots of queries

That point and guide us

No Inquisition will ever

Control or rule us.

 

Politely stubborn

Firm and fearsome

Seeking truth

Wherever it leads us.

 

Truth like an eel

Slips and slithers

Black and white alone

Are not the rainbow.

 

 

 

137. Stepping stones

 

A poem is a stepping stone

That helps us cross the river

A poem is but a rung

To bring us up the ladder.

 

A poem gives us time and space

To join up all the silences

Beguiling with soft cadences

Suggesting with vague sentences.

 

It springs the inner self

It mines the deepest treasure

It scales both peaks and valleys

A constant lifelong pleasure.




138. Peace now

 

The fruit falls closer to the tree

In the final chapter

As it has for centuries.

 

The foreign shores no longer beckon

The local and routine are sweet

Are music to my ears

Now tired of strident sounds on city streets.

 

There comes a happy acceptance

Of the ordinary, the banal,

Of the messy state of life

Where lines are crossed

And pastel colours fudged

 

The chamber of confusion

We call our human condition

The marriage of convenience

The conquest of compromise

Of compassion over passion

 

An evening peace now

Gathers me in a simple place

At last.

 

 


 

139. Slow down

 

Slow down, you’re going to die

Why then make the hours fly?

What’s the hurry, what’s the rush?

You’ll get to die, no need to push!

 

Why not saunter, why not stroll

Looking forward, never around

You’ll miss the beauty that is found

When the car’s in first gear.

 

Stop a moment, gently linger

Absorb the magic in your finger

The simple things are the best

Miracles are seen at rest.

 

Heaven’s stooping down to kiss the shore

Time and eternity conspire

To weave a seamless cloak

Visible only to those stop and care.

 

You’re in the car, he’s up your tail

Wave him on, for he’ll be there

Ahead of you, and you enjoy

That extra moment some day.

 

 


 

140. What shall become of us?

 

Gone are the bright days and the brisk walks

Now welcome the slow saunters by the sea-shore.

The slower the better, the better to savour

The smell of the ether and the roar of the waves

 

The moments, once too many to count

Are now carefully counted and numbered

And each has a name and each has a number

On a list that daily grows shorter.

 

Beauty that deepens with each passing day.

Coffee smells better than ever has been,

Roses shine brighter than ever seen

The sun rises higher and the shadows shorten

 

Shall we travel out of the shadows and into the light

Shall we simply become what we desire?

Is our last dying wish just frozen in time?

And like the good thief

Rise in Christ’s time?

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment